Monday, October 29, 2007

The Second Bubble? Go ahead, burst it.

I was talking with a friend of mine last week about my concern for the second bubble. All this hype, all this over-evaluation - it reminds me of 2000. It depresses me a little, because I know the utility is here, the tipping point has passed and this isn't just buzz - it's here to stay.

And we are smarter, less impatient, less risky...we've learned from the last go 'round, right?!

Then I read Steve Rubel's twitter a few moments ago:

Rant: The Web 2.0 World is Skunk Drunk on its Own Kool Aid http://tinyurl.com/ytaeyz

And at first, that ugh! feeling in the pit of my stomach started...but I kept with his thoughts - thankfully. His post helped get my hopeful back on.

The quick buck folks will come and go - they flock to socnet sites today, mash-up opportunities tomorrow, but there are some sustaining stars that continue to make the web a better place, regardless of cashflow potential - thankfully.

The passionistas are a constant and you know what?

It's gonna be all right.

10/30 UPDATE
More Bubble talk New York Magazine fashion from John Heilemann.

2 comments:

Vince said...

The bubble will burst but it won't be nearly as bad as in 2000. And it will only fuel the fire of the future, just like the last one did. Business plans are more important now, and given that, the ones that "burst," will be the ones that should burst anyway. Survival of the fittest . . .

Weist Family said...

Vince,

Thanks for responding to my bubble post. Looking forward to more discussion as I ramp, keep your comments coming.